Friday, December 11

Cinema Thirst: Pandorum (2009) Review



Director: Christian Alvart
Producer:(s) Paul W.S. Anderson, Jeremy Bolt, Robert Kulzer
Rating: (CA) 14A (US) R
Starring: Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster, Cam Gigandet, Antje Traue
Running Time: 108 Minutes

Released on September 25th in the U.S. and on October 2nd in the UK, Pandorum tells the story of two crew members who wake up in hyper-chambers aboard a seemingly abandoned spacecraft. They are suffering from memory loss and have no idea what is going on but quickly discover that they are not alone.

Is it mere coincidence that Paul W.S. Anderson, creator of many video game to film adaptations decided to produce a film that seems like it was designed to bank on the success of Dead Space? Maybe Electronic Arts was smart enough to keep Anderson's filthy and unholy hands away from the Dead Space franchise so this film ended up being the result? It's highly doubtful but as I was watching this movie, I couldn't help but draw similarities from that game, but I guess the same could be said about any film like this.

For the first section of the film, Pandorum does a very good job of creating a creepy and isolated atmosphere. There is nothing scarier then what you can't see and the distinctive feeling of fear this section of the film brings down on you is a great feeling. Unfortunately, about half way into the movie, Paul Anderson's ego takes over and it turns into a typical action movie with a few horror elements. It's basically like watching the first Resident Evil movie, but in space.

The acting isn't all that bad to be honest. Ben Foster plays his character very well and you can honestly believe what his character is going through. I'm sorry to say that Dennis Quaid doesn't play his too well. A lot of the scenes involving Quaid seemed stupid and over the top. I guess I would say that my reactions to his acting are mixed.

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I went into this film considering it's promotion and advertising were very minimal, at least where I live anyway. I had no idea what Pandorum was about when I watched it, though I knew it was obviously a horror movie and like I said, it pulls the fear element off brilliant in the first half.

I would suggest just letting this one pass and if you are going to see it, just rent it. It's still better then the Doom movie but if you're really interested in a horror movie regarding space, check out something like Ridley Scott's 'Alien'.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment